Royal Manticoran Merchant Marine
|Royal Manticoran Merchant Marine|
|Commander:||Fleet Manager Peter Gold|
|Reporting to:||Home Secretary|
The 'Royal Manticoran Merchant Marine (abbrev: 'RMMM') is one the civilian branches of The Royal Manticoran Navy: The Official Honor Harrington Fan Association, Inc.. The 'RMMM' is one of two uniformed civilian branches of TRMN'. Members of this branch hold merchant marine ranks and job titles and may wear the various orders of RMMM uniform. Members of this component tend to focus on the merchant marine, trade and merchant ships of the stories. Chapters of merchant spacers are organized as merchant ships, titled RMMS <<name>>.
The Royal Manticoran Merchant Marine was authorized in 2013 by Admiralty Order 1312-05. It became active with the opening of the Merchant Fleet Academy in 2016.
There are 6 sizes of RMMM chapters:
The mandate of the RMMM is to provide a framework for TRMN chapters to be organized as merchant ships and crewed by members in the RMMM branch. The RMMM has a mission of:
- Highlight the strategic and economic importance of the merchant marine in the Honorverse.
- Introduce the members of TRMN to the strategic importance, both historically and the current times, to the real world merchant marine.
- Introduce the members of TRMN to the ethnography of the real world maritime industry.
- Introduce the members of TRMN to the shipboard and shore side operation real world maritime industry.
- Provide a role playing experience that expands upon the roles and importance of the Royal Manticoran Merchant Marine in the Honorverse.
- Provide an outlet for fans to Cosplay and role play as merchant spacers within the Honorverse.
- Explore the depiction of the merchant marine in both the Honorverse and other science fiction properties and compare and contrast both with the real world and 20th & 21st century fictional settings.
The commanding officer of the RMMM is Fleet Manager Peter Gold.
The deputy head of the RMMM is Fleet Engineer Joe Jungers.
List of Fleet Managers
|1||Peter Gold||Circa 2016||Incumbent|
The merchant marine, whether of the Star Empire of Manticore, the Republic of Haven or any other star nation, is a civilian industry. The ships are owned by private companies or individuals in free market societies. In places like the old People’s Republic of Haven, in which the government owned every major capital intensive business, the ships are government-owned and are operated by a civilian bureaucracy, usually associated with the Ministry of Trade or similarly named non-military agency. The merchant marine is also known as the merchant navy, mercantile marine, merchant service, or hansemarine (in the Andermani Empire). The people who work on the ships are referred to as merchant mariners or merchant spacers, never as merchant marines.
The Royal Manticoran Merchant Marine, or RMMM, is comprised of Manticoran flagged merchant ships that transported cargo and people during times of both peace and war. The Royal Manticoran Merchant Marine is the single largest merchant navy in the galaxy. The hundreds of companies that own the thousands of ships that fly the Manticoran flag operate a wide variety of ships, from small 100,000 ton couriers to 8 megaton freighters with a crew of about 25, to passenger liners with crews of 600 that can carry up to 5,000 passengers. We serve the carrying trade not only between the Star Empire of Manticore and other star nations, but also within the many star systems of the Galaxy, including in the Solarian League.
RMMM officers are trained at the Merchant Fleet Academy.